Monday, December 17, 2012

It’s hard to be silent sometimes.

I had a post planned for today. I decided against it.
I noticed that many bloggers are going to be silent today.
I considered not saying a word out of fear for the negative comments I’ll probably receive.

You may have read my post on Friday about the tragedy that still has me heart broken..
I have been praying non-stop for them. I’ve been crying daily.

Silence to me means not speaking.
I think that we should be speaking.
But, of course we should also be honoring the victims.

A moment of silence and a day of not speaking are so different to me.

If you read my post I linked to above, you’ll understand why I don’t believe silence is the answer.
I’ve had to take legal action against someone because of death threats they had against me.
I was stalked. I was terrified. All of my friends left my side. They didn’t want to speak up.
They didn’t want to be involved. They all felt it wasn’t their place to say anything.

4 police reports, 12 voicemails, 387 e-mails, 5 pages of tweets and 83 fb messages later..
I finally was able to get a restraining order. After a month of fearing for my life every second.

We found out later had other people brought threats to the police something more could have been done.

Today, that person who followed me everywhere I went, waited outside my house, threatened me so badly that I truly was fearful of WHEN I was going to be killed, threatened anyone who talked to me.. the person who for a year had a restraining order against them and wasn’t legally allowed to purchase a gun.. that person can now own a gun. Legally.

It’s not right and it’s not fair.

I apologize to any blogger who is offended by my choice of not being silent today.
I am not preaching gun control. I am not preaching any political issues.
All that I am saying is that we need to be able to stand up and voice our opinions.

No family should EVER be put through what these families are going through.
But, we live in a world were there sadly are people who do evil things like this.

I have been taking time every single day for these victims and their families.

Respecting them and honoring them is something we all should be doing. Every day.
But, that sometimes that requires you not to be silent.

Please, please, please.. don’t jump down my throat about this.
I respect your decision to be silent today for the reason you choose.
Please, respect my decision to share my thoughts on this.

I understand that as a blogger I shouldn’t be talking today.
I should be silent because silence is a way to show we have respect.

I pray every day and night. My heart breaks more and more each day.
I like to think that one day people won’t be scared to get involved.
One day people will realize that sometime respecting someone means using your voice.

Below I will post the day of silence post everyone else will be posting.
I think it’s very important that we donate and so whatever we can to help these families.

 

Untitled 1

 

 

 

On Tuesday, December 18th, there will be a blogger day of silence. We will post the button and that's it. Please try to not post anything else that day if possible.

We are also raising money that will go to an organization in the memory of this tragedy. The organization is called The Newtown Family Youth and Family Services.

Here is the official description of the support service we are donating to:

"Newtown Youth and Family Services, Inc. is a licensed, non-profit, mental health clinic

and youth services bureau dedicated to helping children and families achieve their

highest potential. NYFS provides programs, services, activities, counseling, support

groups and education throughout the Greater Newtown area.

ANY DONATIONS MADE TO NEWTOWN YOUTH AND FAMILY SERVICES WILL BE DONATED DIRECTLY TO THOSE EFFECTED BY THE SANDY HOOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SHOOTING."


Please visit THIS PAGE to make your donation.

We can't imagine how they must be feeling, especially this close to the holidays. We would love for you to spread the word on your own blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Let's make a difference and use blogging in a positive way.

Thank you in advance for participating.

Love,

The Blog World

6 comments:

  1. I love this. It's completely opposite of what I was thinking but I agree with you 100%. It's amazing how people think if it in different ways. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amanda, for speaking up. I strongly am not in favor of a "day of silence," and believe the same as you, that we need to speak up about this. I get the "respect" of being silent, but that's why it's called a moment of silence. Like you, I fear the negative comments I will get if I don't "go along" with the norm of what will be tomorrow. I already wrote a post on the shooting Friday night & have been considering just posting that. I'm so glad someone else spoke up & that someone else is on the same wave length as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why you're apologizing. I think what you wrote is 100% the truth. Yes, a day of silence is going around but why not speak up and voice your opinion? Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it's about politics or not. I am one of the bloggers doing the Day of Silence post but I too said a few words about my thoughts and sending donations to the families. As a mother, I cannot imagine the loss and agony these families are going through, and some of these families need to hear that it's awful and tragic and that we're SO terribly sorry for their loss and that we're truly feeling for them and sending as many thoughts and prayers as humanly possible. Some of these families need our support, not just being silent. So, thank you for posting this, you have absolutely no reason to apologize for speaking up.
    -Becca
    faithloveandbabies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose to post the button and be "silent" today, but that's on my blog only. I agree that moment of silence and not speaking are two very different things. And i agree that people DO need to speak up. People DO need to get involved. Everyone has the "not me" mentality. That is such a lie. These things can happen anywhere, any time. And that is truly scary.

    I agree with Becca, there should be no apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't find it disrespectful. I posted today {it was related to Sandy Hook and a project another blogger came up with to send some love to those families, and beneath it, I mentioned the button for those who would like to donate}. I totally get the respect of a moment of silence to gain attention toward helping those people. However, I don't think that drawing attention to the issues that are related to what happened is disrespectful either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted the button of silence however I believe that everyone is intitled to post whatever and whenever. You should never apologize for any post. This is your blog and if everyone would start standing up for our country and speaking our minds of what's right like you do your post maybe things will start turning around and the innocent little people wouldn't be taken away from us in such a terrible way. I agree with the moment of silence to show our respect but I also agree with freedom of speech too. We can turn off the news, not read the paper or turn and go the other way but what are the families effected by this doing? They can't just "turn it off" they have to deal with this fist hand and probably will for a very long time. Maybe just maybe if we start speaking up.... this gun issue will start turning around. Our country will start turning around and quit becoming so violent. If we all would just stand up for one another and lean on each other, the world would be a better place. So I applaud you for your speech and thank you for such a impowering post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I absolutely love every single comment I receive on this little blog of mine.
I'll always respond to a question. Sometimes I'll reply back on your actual comment or sometimes I'll e-mail. Don't ever hesitate to e-mail me about absolutely anything. I'm pretty good at responding to e-mails very quickly!

MandyShippe@gmail.com