Friday, December 14, 2012

I can’t even wrap my mind around this.

I started writing Friday Letters and decided that anything I had to say in that post no longer reflects how I feel today. I’m heart broken by the news of the Connecticut shooting. Today was the first time I sat by the television waiting for President Obama to speak. Once he started speaking, I was sobbing uncontrollably.


Image from NBCNEWS. Article & Video here.

As I skim though my Facebook feed I noticed many people mentioning banning guns. I do not think that guns should be banned. However, I do think gun laws should be looked at.

My main concern is the warning signs that will probably surface. We all need to stop being so scared to step up. People don’t want to “get involved” and I think that’s wrong.

I personally have been in a situation where I lost all of my friends because they didn’t want to get involved when my life was being threatened and I was being stalked. Gun laws wouldn’t of helped because this person was planning on illegally buying a gun, the person they were going to buy it from contacted me out of concern. Once I was able to get legal help and a restraining order then those friends who left my side tried to tell me how sorry they were that they didn’t help but, they were scared to set this person off.

Don’t be scared to call the police or stop by your local police station to show them any information that may concern you. If you see something on Facebook and it just doesn’t seem right, step up. Please. Stop assuming that other people are going to be stepping up.

I can not image what it would be like to be any of those families involved. I can’t imagine those families who lost a love one. I can’t imagine the pain the families who lost their babies are dealing with. I’m horrified that CHILDREN had to witness such a horrifying tragedy no one should ever have to witness. My heart is completely broken.

A teacher from the school said that some of her students were saying that they just want Christmas and that they don’t want to die.

It’s not fair that innocent people are killed. It’s not fair that innocent people have to go through something most of us can’t even wrap our mind around. Tragedy can happen anywhere. Anyone can be involved. It makes me absolutely sick.

Most people are expressing fear. I don’t believe that any of my emotions include fear. I’m aware of my surroundings but, nothing can prepare you for something like this. You can not teach your children what to do in situations like this. You can prepare for a fire, tornado a lockdown… but, I do not believe you can prepare for a shooting.

I pray that if you have children who have heard about this shooting that they are not fearful. I pray that they feel safe and loved.

It’s times like these that really make you realize just how lucky you are. Be grateful for every single person in your life. Make sure you tell them that you love them. You can’t ever say “I love you” too much. Life in unpredictable and unfair. I’m praying for all of those who were involved.

Untitled 1

9 comments:

  1. I'm heartbroken. I cried uncontrollably when President Obama spoke as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Banning guns is not going to solve a thing! I am a Pre-K teacher and I am just saddened by this. I hugged every one of my sweet babies today. I don't know what I would do if something happened to them. I'm just so thankful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said, thank you <3 My heart broke when I heard about this. Banning guns won't be any more effective than drugs being illegal, but you are so right, our current gun laws need to be evaluated to see what can be improved. Ugh, How can anyone hurt a child, let alone so many children :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. I agree with you wholeheartedly. My heart is heavy and I feel like all I've done is cry since I left work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! People who are mentally ill, who want to do something this awful bad enough will walk right through a gun law. {There were obviously tons of laws broken today, regardless of how the gun was purchased.} A man also attacked 22 children in China today using a knife. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you about stepping up. No one wants to be "bothered" with getting involved and it's truly sad. People are so wrapped up in themselves that they just can't take the time to be the bigger person and help someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is in first grade, so as a mom and an educator and well as a human, there really are no words to express what is going on. I cried and cried today when we sang Jesus Loves the Little Children in church ....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I absolutely love every single comment I receive on this little blog of mine.
I'll always respond to a question. Sometimes I'll reply back on your actual comment or sometimes I'll e-mail. Don't ever hesitate to e-mail me about absolutely anything. I'm pretty good at responding to e-mails very quickly!

MandyShippe@gmail.com